By John G. Merna, Esq.
How To File and Complete A Bankruptcy Without Leaving Home.
You can now file and a complete bankruptcy without even getting off your couch… for a limited time only that is. Merna Law, while having three physical office locations in Virginia Beach, Richmond, and Newport News, is capable of filing your bankruptcy without ever meeting with you through their virtual “Client Services Portal”, MernaLaw.info.
How Do You Accomplish The Three Phases of Filing a Virtual Bankruptcy?
Phase I – Consulting With And Hiring A Bankruptcy Attorney
The first step is to find out how a bankruptcy can help you. Merna Law offers in-person, telephone, and video consultations to review you financial situation, provide you with a solution, make it affordable for you, and provide you with the documents you need. All of this can be done though our advanced “Client Service Portal”. As long as you have internet access and email, even if it is just on your phone, you can accomplish all the necessary tasks to file bankruptcy without leaving home.
Retaining and Legal Guidance
You can hire an attorney from Merna Law over the phone or by video. We will forward all the necessary documents for your electronic signature. You can also pay online or by phone to start our bankruptcy payment plan.
As I have mentioned, our Client Services Portal provides you the ability to prepare your case from home. The Portal has four primary features:
- – A secured website with document lists, video instructions, and guidance all aspects of the process.
- – An online payment link to make your payments for our services from home 24 hours a day.
- – An encrypted document upload workspace to send your documents as they are available. The workspace also allow you to communicate directly with our document processing staff.
- – And finally, you can also alert us from home when you are ready to have your case filed by hitting the “Ready to File” button at the top of all pages.
Phase II – After Filing: Your Bankruptcy Hearing
The second step of the process is accomplishing the post-filing requirements, which are:
- Completing your 2nd certificate, the financial management certificate.
- Attending your bankruptcy hearing, also called the “341 Meeting of Creditors”;
- negotiating and executing a reaffirmation agreement on any vehicle loan so you can keep your car.
In a Chapter 7, the time from filing to discharge is about 90 days. In a Chapter 13, the time to discharge depend on how long your attorney structures you payment plan.
The certificate can be done online at the website of an approved counseling agency or by phone. The hearing we can also accomplish by telephone with you at home and your attorney at the office.
Phase III – Post-Bankruptcy Recovery
After your discharge recovery is almost more important than your bankruptcy filing. You can recover your creditor score quickly after bankruptcy to the point of purchasing a house within two or three years.
Merna Law provides a free credit recovery course for it’s clients to assist in them recovering quickly. The course is available on our Client Services Portal and covers steps you can take before, during, and after your bankruptcy to speed the recovery. You can generally increase your credit score by 100 points within a year we have found.
If you are thinking about filing a bankruptcy and want to do it while you can still do it from home call Merna Law today at 800-662-8813.